San Francisco, Calif., ( CNA/EWTN News ) .- In 2013, Beyonce Knowles topped GQ’s list of “The 100 Hottest Women of the 21st Century.” Th...
giovedì 27 novembre 2014
Paedophile Abused 19 Children In Care System
Vulnerable youngsters suffered an "appalling" catalogue ofsexual abuses while living in "demonic" John Allen's children's homes.
For decades John Allen, 73, ran children's homes across North Wales and routinely subjected youngsters to sexual and violent abuse.
It is the second time he has stood trial over abuse allegations but his conviction in the 1990s did not address the full level of his offending.
In his latest trial, twenty people stepped forward to give evidence against him at Mold Crown Court.
One of the victims told the court that it felt as though Allen had been with him for "every second" of his life.
He added that his journey to give evidence in the courtroom had taken 40 years.
Allen, from Ipswich, Suffolk, had previously denied 40 counts of sexual abuse between the late 1960s and the early 1990s.
He was found guilty on Wednesday of 21 counts of indecent assault, one charge of indecency with a child and four serious sex assaults. He was cleared of two counts of indecent assault.
On Thursday, the jury found him guilty of further indecent assaults, bringing the total number of offences he was convicted of to 33. No verdicts were reached on four other charges and he is due to be sentenced on Monday.
In all the offences were alleged to have been carried out against 18 boys and one girl aged between seven and 15.
Sky News has also uncovered allegations that Allen's abuse spread far beyond his homes in North Wales.
He told Sky News: "He was particularly sadistic with his abuse, a thoroughly nasty piece of work and thoroughly frightened me and all the other residents of the home.
"If you were in the same room as John Allen I always felt very much that you were controlled - almost like on a telepathic level he had this hold over you.
"Once he had hit you or done something, that was it, you just carried on doing it because you had a feeling there was so much more behind it.
“It was almost demonic at times, the feeling I got from that man.
"Looking at it now I see a sad, pathetic old man. Back then I was scared, he was powerful, very rich and he literally had the power of life and death over everybody."
Two other victims of Allen's sexual abuse have spoken exclusively to Sky News about how they felt abandoned in the care system - and how, 40 years on, they are still afraid of Allen.
One of the men, who was six when he was placed in Allen's care, believes he was taken on trips to meet other potential abusers.
Allen's case is the first prosecution under the National Crime Agency's Operation Pallial, which was set up two years ago to reassess historical allegations of abuse within the care system in North Wales.
Senior Investigating Officer Ian Mulcahey said of Allen: "I think he showed a breathtaking level of arrogance, complete disregard of the children he was entrusted with - his behaviour can only be described as nothing less than appalling."
Operation Pallial officers are currently investigating allegations from 236 complainants.
Chief Crown Prosecutor for Wales Ed Beltrami conceded that some victims have been denied justice in the past because of "defensive" attitudes among the authorities.
He said: "I think people were scared of bringing those cases, putting victims through quite an ordeal, only to find that people were not convicted at the end of the day. I think we are rather better at that now."